Saturday, September 02, 2006

Miss Snark, Superhero

I prepare for evisceration with a giddy smile on my face. I jump up and down wondering, "Am I a Nitwit, or worse?" I am one of the few chosen for the fabulous Miss Snark's legendary Crapometer, which opened on Friday for twelve hours.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, there is an amazing blog at http://misssnark.blogspot.com. She is an anonymous literary agent who dispenses information and snark in an entertaining manner to aid the clueless hopefuls who seek literary representation and possible publication. In short, I have learned more about the publishing industry from her than from any other source, and anyone who has written a book would benefit from viewing her site.

The "Crapometer" is a fantastic opportunity. She offered to critique 100 query letters and first pages for aspiring writers. Apparently she is a glutton for punishment as well, and an altruist in the true sense. I will receive free clues, or be told I'm out of my mind for my attempts. Either or, I win.

For those who strive for publication of their novels or non-fiction books, I must also recommend the website http://www.sfwa.org/prededitors/, Preditors and Editors. It's priceless. At that site, you can check the references of any literary agent in the field, and determine the respectable agents from the disreputable.

Anyway, I may be in for some serious rewrites, but at least I'll have some direction. Regardless of her response, I nominate Miss Snark for Hero of the Year, and encourage anyone serious about becoming a published author to check out her site. Good luck to you all.

2 comments:

Bernita said...

Her site is the single most useful and valuable source out there, imho.

Cynthia Bronco said...

Definitely, and I am a nitwit because I thought my submission number was one of the Crapometer numbers... it wasn't! Still, I get to glean info from all of the queries she did review.